Tuesday, March 22, 2011

Shut Your Trap

So right now I'm in a contemplative mood.

Listening to John Mayer always seems to do that to me. Here...listen along, dear reader.


Anywhom, as we listen to this song together, I'll tell you what I've been thinking about....

I need to learn to shut up.

No, really.

Somehow, over the past few days, so excited by the finishing of my book I've managed to tell half the world about it. Oh yeah, did I tell you I got my broken flash drive back (fixed) and it's officially finished? Right now, my darling friend and official editor has it in her grimy little hands. Very, very excited to start getting some feedback and to look for representation.

Anywhom, yes, I need to shut my trap about it.

I know what you're thinking: "It's your baby. You worked on that thing for 1263ish days. You should be proud about it. Tell the world!!!!!"

But...when I do...they tend to ask what it's about. As you know, dear reader, I've told you absolutely nothing about my "baby". You have no synopsis, little clue to what it's about, the names of the characters, or the world that it takes place in. You don't even know the title! And, as I explained, I do that for a reason here...the interwebz have a habit of leaking things. Well, in the so called real world, I don't want to tell too many people about it either.

"Buy a hard copy," I say. Really, I'm just waiting to get this sucker copyrighted.

When you have a child, you wait as long as possible to protect it from the slime in the outside world. Manuscripts can be described in the same way, I suppose.

Anyway, this is what it looked like just before it went off to my dear friend.

 The black spots are the title and my name. So ha ha ha. But it wound up being an official page count of 318 (1.5 spaced, 12 pt font), 38 pages, and 2 parts. A monster of a book. In case you can't tell what cover I decided on, here's a refresher...

You know, before I started I had another thing that I wanted to talk about. Hmmmm....

I had another literary contraction today. It used to be that I got them at least once a day, maybe more. But for so long, I've been devoid of them almost completely. So having 2 within a month's period is pretty dang awesome.

This one, rather than being dark and edgy, is more of a historical fiction thing. Actually, it takes place in 2 different time periods: Now and in the Ancient World. Sort of a parallel of worlds. I dunno. It might not be that great, but it's good to sort through the crap in order to find the diamond.

That wasn't even what my other idea was...but I suppose it will do it for now.

Oh yeah! I had an interview for a new job yesterday and to quote, they are "very interested" in hiring me. And the best part is...it's at a bookstore. Could you imagine a better job for me?! I think not.

Well, other than the writing thing...

I hope you enjoyed the music.

--Jeanie

No comments:

Post a Comment